Monday, December 19, 2011

Changing of the guard

Well, it has finally come to this.... after almost 32 years (nearly three life sentences) as a loyal servant of NZ Police I have taken the plunge into retirement. This has always been my aim, so there is no sudden drama that has caused this - it is just time. A month or two ago an opportunity slid into view and I managed to catch it before it fell onto the pile of missed ones. Now, as a result I am to have New Years eve off (a scary thought after all these years) and start work on the 4th of January for Age Concern Otago as their new Manager - Funding, Communications, and Community Projects. Obviously this will mean a certain amount of adjustment - starting of course with having to start making decisions earlier in the day than I am used to: "Today I will wear...." There will of course be other changes, but I believe I am well prepared and there shouldn't be too many surprises. After I have done some time and earned a little leave and good will I hope to once again be available to Red Cross for at least short term missions to wild needy out of the way places.

No comments:

Post a Comment